DE

Hajar al-Gharbi and Hajar al-Sharqi, Oman

Sport climbing in the Hajar Mountains

Oman – a fantastic desert country with great geological diversity and spectacular wild landscapes.

Oman lies in the very east of the Arabian Peninsula and consists to 80% of desert landscapes with its foothills of the almost deserted Rub al Khali, the largest sand desert of the earth. The remaining 20% along the northeast coast is ingested by the 450 km long high mountain range of the Hajar Mountains. At the Sumail Pass, the mountain range is divided into the northern Hajar al-Gharbi and the eastern Hajar al-Sharqi. From a geological point of view, Oman is the only country in the world where all of the earth's inner layers of rock come to light. This phenomenon also makes it very diversified from a mountaineering point of view.

The incredible diversity of the desert country is not least expressed in the wide range of climbing areas. Northern Hajar al-Gharbi is home to the country’s mightiest mountains (the highest mountain is Jebel Shams at 3009 m). The high mountains are dominated by serious climbing in alpine style multipitch routes, partly on very sharp-edged metamorphic limestone.
In contrast is the flatter eastern Hajar al-Sharqi. There the climbing areas are mostly in canyons – so-called wadis – which are facing towards the sea due to their geographical location. Climbing takes place in classic, mostly drilled sport climbing areas on limestone that has been polished the by water.

But even more than the scenic advantages, the remarkably hospitable inhabitants fascinated us with their open nature. They contributed a lot to the fact that we could always move around in the country relaxed and safe. One is interested, respects one’s counterpart, takes the necessary time for a conversation and listens carefully. Through this open communication we could exchange ideas and learn a lot from each other – no matter if it was daily life, politics, religion or traditions. Encounters take place at eye level and contribute a lot to mutual understanding. We are looking forward to coming back!

Great acoustics at Little Snake River Gorge, Wadi Bani Awf:

Key Information

Let’s check the location:

Our route highlights in Hajar al-Gharbi:

Wadi Bani Awf, Snake Gorge Northside (Left Entrance Pillar):
» I’ve lost a friend (240 m, Trad VI, 6 pitches)

Wadi Bani Awf, Wadi Hajir (La Gorgette, right fork):
» Kim Bill2 6c, Kim Bill 6b+, Ahmed Alors 6a+, Amna 5c

Wadi Bani Awf, Wadi Hajir (La Gorgette, left fork):
» La Girafe 6c, Pat Oman 6b

Wadi Bani Awf, Wadi Hajir (Rotweinwand):
» Tempranillo (140 m, VI+, 7 pitches)

Wadi Bani Awf, Sharaf Al Alamayn, (Sport Wall):
» Shawarmax 5c, Tribu des Wadi 6a

Wadi Bani Awf, Sharaf Al Alamayn, (The Prow):
» Scratch’n’Win (Trad 180 m, 6a, 7 pitches)

Wadi Bani Awf, Sharaf Al Alamayn, (Wall of Shadows):
» Wall of Shadows (175 m, Trad 6a+, 6 pitches)

Our route highlights in Hajar al-Sharqi:

Wadi Tiwi:
» First ascent Tiwi Corner (52 m, Trad 6a, 1 pitch)

Wadi Daykah (Hotel California):
» California Dreamin (130 m, Trad HVS/5c, 6 pitches)

Wadi Daykah (Middle Canyon North):
» Flying Frog 7a, Annie Zet 6a, The Troll's Revenge 5c, Patouche 6a

First ascent:

Tiwi Corner (52 m, Trad 6a) in Wadi Tiwi on 30 November 2018

GPS coordinates:

N 22° 48' 40", E 59° 15' 8" (» Google Maps)

Download GPS coordinates of Tiwi Corner (GPX: 1 KB)

» Topo with route description to Tiwi Corner in Wadi Tiwi

Relaxed in Muscat – our recommendable accommodation:

Lana Villa in Azaiba, Muscat – a stone’s throw away from the sea, lovingly managed by Oliver Wensauer.

» Lana Villa (www.lanavilla-oman.com)

Share:

Further information:

» Questions or comments?

Read more

Trad climbing on
Jebel Misht, Oman